Saudi Prince Promises Bentleys to Pilots as Civilian Death Toll Mounts in Yemen
As Saudi officials announced the country has ceased its bombing campaign against the Houthis in Yemen, a Saudi prince promised to give pilots free expensive luxury cars
As Saudi officials announced the country has ceased its bombing campaign against the Houthis in Yemen, a Saudi prince promised to give pilots free expensive luxury cars.
Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal is the Saudi King Abdullah’s nephew. He has a $300 million stake in the social media company Twitter and is reportedly worth nearly $40 billion.
— Mohamed Othman (@Othmanbay) April 22, 2015
“To recognize the one hundred participating Saudi pilots I am pleased to present them with 100 Bentley cars,” bin Talal said in a tweet.
The Saudi bombing campaign, dubbed Decisive Storm, commenced on March 26 against Shia Houthis. So far, the raids have killed nearly a thousand Yemenis and wounded 3,487.
The United Nations expressed alarm six days into the bombing campaign as the civilian death toll climbed.
U.N. human rights chief Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein was shocked after the Saudis bombed a refugee camp near the Houthi stronghold of Saada in northern Yemen.
Earlier this week the Obama administration tried to limit the scope of the bombing campaign after an attack on Sana, the capitol, killed nearly 50 people.
The U.S. has participated in the bombing that has created a humanitarian crisis by offering intelligence and logistical support.
On Tuesday the Saudis announced they would halt the month-long bombing. They said the campaign had achieved its objectives.